Subject: Re: bug#32226: shadowfile test failures

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 15:59:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't see why this would be impossible.  The test suite is run from
> the MSYS Bash anyway, and if I start Emacs from there, I get this:
>
>   (executable-find "sh")
>     => "d:/usr/MSYS/bin/sh.exe"

The test suite is also run interactively (that's what I do), so it
cannot be guaranteed that (executable-find "sh") gives a non-nil
result. For this case, there is the REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY trick.

> (even though the directory where sh.exe leaves is not on the
> system-wide PATH on my systems, although most other users do place it
> on PATH).  So use executable-find to get the absolute file name of the
> shell, instead of a literal "/bin/sh", and I think everything else
> should "just work", no?
>
>> So you shall declare a usable remote directory via that environment
>> variable for the MS WIndows case. If you could give me a recipe how to
>> setup a mock-up method for MS Windows - the better!
>
> Does the above fit the bill?  If not, what else is needed for the
> mock-up method?

I will check your proposal next week, when I'm at work. Maybe it works,
but likely I will find only an MS Windows machine which does not offer
any sh.exe - that's Murphy. In that case, I will produce a patch which
you could check.

(All of this shouldn't stop us from closing this bug report, after
confirmation of Glenn)

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.