Subject: Incorrect string check for PGI compilers in libtool.m4

From: Anh Huynh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 22:15:25 +0000

Hello,

Since 17.1, PGI compilers have changed their -V message to print out

PGI Compilers and Tools
Copyright (c) 2017, NVIDIA CORPORATION.  All rights reserved.

But while determining PIC flag for PGI compilers, m4/libtool.m4 file looks for "*Portland\ Group*" as seen here in line 4784 (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/tree/m4/libtool.m4#n4784)

*Intel*\ [[CF]]*Compiler*)
                 _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_wl, $1)='-Wl,'
                  _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)='-fPIC'
                  _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_static, $1)='-static'
                  ;;
*Portland\ Group*)
                  _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_wl, $1)='-Wl,'
                 _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)='-fpic'
                  _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_static, $1)='-Bstatic'
                  ;;

As a result in certain situations the -fpic flag does not get set properly.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you.
Anh