Subject: bug#32211: problems with cross-compiling

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:45:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, Jörg Stucke wrote:
>
> It seems that the linking flag "-target mips-linux-gnu" was removed by
> libtool which resulted in the linker (clang) assuming the wrong
> architecture (x86_64). The flag was set in the LDFLAGS environment
> variable.

Libtool only passes through options that it understands.  Otherwise 
one must use -Wc, and -Wl, syntax to pass options to the compiler or 
linker.

Also, usually cross-tools are supposed to be named a particular way 
(including the target triplet in the name) according to autoconf 
conventions (see the autoconf documentation).  This helps autoconf and 
libtool understand that cross-compilation is being performed, and 
assures that the correct tools are used.

On a system here, I see cross tools named like mips-linux-gcc and 
mips-unknown-linux-uclibc-gcc.

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/