Subject: bug#32210: Support medium weighted fonts

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:41:42 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I don't think I have a proper font to experiment with...  does
> anybody know of a font in Debian Stable that has both varieties?
> SauceCodePro was the example in the bug report, but that does not seem
> to be available here.

Found one -- "apt install ubuntu-font".

I chose "Ubuntu Regular" and "Ubuntu Medium":

Weight: 400, symbol normal
Weight: 500, symbol semi-bold

And: Added wrinkle: In Emacs, the "Regular" font is heavier than the
"Medium" font (but they're not in the Gtk selector).

This is all very confusing.

If I say

emacs -Q -fn "Ubuntu:weight=regular" 
emacs -Q -fn "Ubuntu:weight=medium" 

I get the more expected result (i.e., identical display in Emacs since
we map both of these to the same thing in other parts of Emacs).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no