Subject: Re: bug#32207: 26.1; can't set window position with emacs 26.3

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 09:56:06 +0200

> I used
 >    emacs -Q --eval "(setq initial-frame-alist '((width . 40) (height . 20) (left . 400) (top . 400)))"
 > to match the above.
[...]
 > Emacs 26 works perfectly! even with off-screen positions.

Does that work _without_ specifying 'user-position'?

 > I'll added this to my .xclients script (though -g ought to
 > work) and will check next time I need to restart X.

It seems we have to add a 'user-position' and/or 'user-size'
specification when parsing geometry specifications.  I have no idea
what happens when -g and X resources get mixed.  Does -g work when you
specify a non-nil 'user-position' in your X resources file?

Also as far as resources are concerned we automatically add a
'user-position' and a 'user-size' parameter when a 'top' or 'left'
resource has been specified.  We do nothing when just a 'width' or
'height' resource has been specified.  I don't understand the
rationale of that and it never has been explained anywhere.

 > PS: Adding "(user-position . t)" to the -F argument of calls
 > to emacsclient to place frames in my other three screens,
 > seems to also put them where I want them too.

Hopefully.

martin