Subject: bug#32207: 26.1; can't set window position with emacs 26.3

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 08:51:32 +0200

>>>> (make-frame '((user-position . t) (top . 100) (left . 100)))
 >>> This works fine.  Fvwm now claims "used user specified position"
 >
 >> Good.  Can you make it work for the initial frame as well?
 >
 > How do I make it work for the initial frame, under "emacs -Q"?
 >
 > I know (and knew) I can customize my initialization to place
 > the windows where I want them, or give them different titles
 > and have FVWM place them according to it, that's not the
 > point.

And that initialization works for you without having to resort to the
'user-position' parameter?

 > The question was more why can't emacs 26 obey the CLI argument,
 > as documented in the man page, when emacs 25 could.

I couldn't tell.  If you run Emacs 25 and 26 in parallel on the same
system you could try to debug the parts where the WM hints are
processed and look whether these versions do anything differently.
Otherwise, you would have to bisect your Emacs to find out.

martin