Subject: Re: bug#32207: 26.1; can't set window position with emacs 26.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 10:48:16 -0700

>>> Can you try with "Tile Manual Placement" instead of "Tile
>>> Cascade"?
>> Doesn't work too well, as it results in the I need to
>> position every window manually.  (Fvwm puts up a wire frame
>> for me drag.)

> But the Emacs window gets placed as intended.  Right?

No, random position or top-left at the middle of the screen,
can't remember exactly.  And it still requires me to place
the window, which is not going to work very well if I want
to move it several screens over.

>>> (make-frame '((user-position . t) (top . 100) (left . 100)))
>> This works fine.  Fvwm now claims "used user specified position"

> Good.  Can you make it work for the initial frame as well?

How do I make it work for the initial frame, under "emacs -Q"?

I know (and knew) I can customize my initialization to place
the windows where I want them, or give them different titles
and have FVWM place them according to it, that's not the
point.

The question was more why can't emacs 26 obey the CLI argument,
as documented in the man page, when emacs 25 could.

-- Henrique