Subject: bug#32207: 26.1; can't set window position with emacs 26.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 16:41:58 -0700

Emacs 26.1.3 on Fedora doesn't respect the position part of
the geometry given in the command line (it does respect the
width and height).  

I start two emacs sessions (as "me" and "root") and place
them on desk 1/page 1 and desk1/page 5 of my FVWM
configuration, and they both start on desk 1/page 1, at the
whim of the window manager.

I also sprinkle a few xterm around different desks/pages,
and fvwm obeys my specifications, so the change is not there.

Fails with "emacs -Q --no-loadup  --no-site-file--no-site-lisp"
and either -g, --geometry, --geometry=, -geometry, and with
no .Xdefaults or xresources.

I've been using this setup for several years and it has
worked up to emacs 25.3.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-06-26 built on buildhw-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Fedora release 28 (Twenty Eight)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
 --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share
 --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif
 --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft
 --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF
 -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT
LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS
XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix