Subject: bug#32207: 26.1; can't set window position with emacs 26.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 06:26:18 -0700

> So IIUC Emacs fails to position the initial frame within a
> large virtual desktop that spans several screens.  And if
> that virtual desktop equals the size of your screen, there
> are no problems.
> Correct?

No, it fails to position the initial frame period.  I start
one emacs on the "default/initial" screen, another a few
screens away.  Neither obeys the command line position.

> Does positioning a new frame in a running Emacs session via
> (make-frame '((left . x) (top . y)))

Just tried it with x and y within the physical desktop and a
few screens away and neither worked.

However, if I kill fvwm and use make-frame, it WORKS!  Even
off screen, which I can see when I restart fvwm.

This is interesting, as I'm running the same fvwm as with
the previous emacs, where this worked.  Also xterms position
themselves properly.  Just tried glxgears, mplayer and it
works with those too.  Xv works within the physical screen,
it doesn't off-screen.

Maybe Emacs changed the way it requests the screen position
to a way that fvwm doesn't like.  I'll need to try with
another window manager.

-- Henrique