Subject: bug#32191: Mplayer fails to play videos

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 22:25:45 +0200

Hello,

the current mplayer package crashes for me with a message like this:
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

I tried it on .mp4 files and on a .mov file. Compiling it with ffmpeg-3.4
instead of ffmpeg-4 solves the problem. Now I was told that anyway I had
better switch to mpv.

So I see two possible courses of action:
- Keep mplayer and compile it with ffmpeg-3.4, which requires us to keep also
  this older ffmpeg package around.
- Drop mplayer, and replace it by mpv (there is a field in the package
  definition to indicate this).

What do you think?

Andreas