Subject: bug#32191: closed (Re: bug#32191: Mplayer fails to play videos)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 21:43:03 +0000

Your bug report

#32191: Mplayer fails to play videos

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32191: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32191
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32191: Mplayer fails to play videos
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 23:42:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Leo,

thanks for your super fast reply!

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 05:04:41PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > So I see two possible courses of action:
> > - Keep mplayer and compile it with ffmpeg-3.4, which requires us to keep also
> >   this older ffmpeg package around.
> I think we will probably need to keep ffmpeg-2 and ffmpeg-3 for a while
> anyways, so we might as well fix the mplayer package now.

Okay, done in commit 21e6428dc7851bf06a68beef6e4125553aef8d88.

Andreas

Subject: Mplayer fails to play videos
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 22:25:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

the current mplayer package crashes for me with a message like this:
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

I tried it on .mp4 files and on a .mov file. Compiling it with ffmpeg-3.4
instead of ffmpeg-4 solves the problem. Now I was told that anyway I had
better switch to mpv.

So I see two possible courses of action:
- Keep mplayer and compile it with ffmpeg-3.4, which requires us to keep also
  this older ffmpeg package around.
- Drop mplayer, and replace it by mpv (there is a field in the package
  definition to indicate this).

What do you think?

Andreas