Subject: Re: bug#32183: New ‘guix pull’/root/.config/current/bin/guix: Permission denied

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 15:13:30 +0100

Hello,

swedebugia <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This whole update to guix pull was somewhat a breaking change, but
> unfortunately it was very hard to imagine the repercussions (horrible
> bugs) down the line...
>
> Could it have been completely avoided by introducing it as such and
> forced people to reinstall/upgrade by reinstall (overwriting all files
> and invalidating the store etc.)?

Fundamentally, it’s just about moving files from ~/.config/guix to
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER, which I thought was fairly harmless.

Also, the bug was around for a few days.  Those who were away during
those days didn’t notice.

That said, I agree this was poorly handled.  One way to improve it would
be to have several people run the code on their machine before it goes
to master (it’s the kind of code for which we can hardly write unit
tests, and it’s single-use code.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.