Subject: Re: bug#32183: New ‘guix pull’/root/.config/current/bin/guix: Permission denied

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 12:41:01 +0200

Hi Ludo,

> If you’re familiar with Dired in Emacs, I’d suggest opening
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root and fixing the symlink targets from
> there (with C-c C-q).

Done. And after rebooting, guix seems to work fine for root, including
the download phase. Meaning that I consider this bug fixed.

But there still seems to be some collateral damage, since I could not
use "guix pull" any more on my standard user account:

  $ guix pull
  Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/hinsen'...
  guix pull: error: rename-file: Invalid cross-device link

This looks like guix is trying to use a hard link instead of a symbolic
link somewhere. I found a way around which I describe here for the
benefit of others who might find themselves in the same situation:

 - check out a local copy of the Guix repository 
 - configure and make as described in the manual
 - ./pre-inst-env guix pull

That does the profile migration using the very latest code. After that
the standard guix command seems to work fine again.

Konrad.