Subject: Login fail after core-update without reboot

From: Pierre-Antoine Rouby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 10:30:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Guix,

I found a problem with 'guix reconfigure' and core-update. After
reconfigure it's impossible to connect in tty, 'login' segfault
with this error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
login[30083]: segfault at 968 ip 00007f6ae6168ec8 sp 00007ffc7bd0f420 error 4 in libpthread-2.27.so[7f6ae6163000+19000]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think login try to use glibc-2.27 but it's still configured to use
glib-2.26. It's possible this issue come from '/etc/pam.d/login'.

A had to reboot my system.

gdb trace:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
process 24717 is executing new program: /gnu/store/31qbd404pmlm5bmb0l0r147mnjxzpq3y-shadow-4.6/bin/login
warning: Could not load shared library symbols for linux-vdso.so.1.
Do you need "set solib-search-path" or "set sysroot"?
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007fb95cabaec8 in __pthread_initialize_minimal_internal () from /gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27/lib/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007fb95cabaec8 in __pthread_initialize_minimal_internal () from /gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27/lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x00007fb95caba621 in _init () from /gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27/lib/libpthread.so.0
#2  0x00007fb95d8dcaa0 in ?? () from /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/security/pam_env.so
#3  0x00007fb95eb1f33a in call_init.part () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#4  0x00007fb95eb1f4f5 in _dl_init () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#5  0x00007fb95eb23980 in dl_open_worker () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#6  0x00007fb95e058901 in _dl_catch_error () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libc.so.6
#7  0x00007fb95eb23127 in _dl_open () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#8  0x00007fb95e4f9f96 in dlopen_doit () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libdl.so.2
#9  0x00007fb95e058901 in _dl_catch_error () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libc.so.6
#10 0x00007fb95e4fa5a9 in _dlerror_run () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libdl.so.2
#11 0x00007fb95e4fa021 in dlopen@@GLIBC_2.2.5 () from /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libdl.so.2
#12 0x00007fb95e701f4d in _pam_load_module () from /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam.so.0
#13 0x00007fb95e7025d9 in _pam_add_handler () from /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam.so.0
#14 0x00007fb95e702cd6 in _pam_parse_conf_file () from /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam.so.0
#15 0x00007fb95e7033d7 in _pam_init_handlers () from /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam.so.0
#16 0x00007fb95e704bc1 in pam_start () from /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam.so.0
#17 0x0000000000402f2c in main ()
----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(gdb) info sharedlibrary 
>From                To                  Syms Read   Shared Object Library
0x00007fb95eb10cc0  0x00007fb95eb2c990  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
                                        No          linux-vdso.so.1
0x00007fb95e90d1b0  0x00007fb95e90de59  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam_misc.so.0
0x00007fb95e6ff9d0  0x00007fb95e706ae5  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/libpam.so.0
0x00007fb95e4f9de0  0x00007fb95e4faa27  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libdl.so.2
0x00007fb95e2e4a40  0x00007fb95e2f4775  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/2ifmksc425qcysl5rkxkbv6yrgc1w9cs-gcc-5.5.0-lib/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
0x00007fb95df50750  0x00007fb95e088fac  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libc.so.6
0x00007fb95dd1a6a0  0x00007fb95dd20af8  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/security/pam_unix.so
0x00007fb95dae0ba0  0x00007fb95dae5f47  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/4sqaib7c2dfjv62ivrg9b8wa7bh226la-glibc-2.26.105-g0890d5379c/lib/libcrypt.so.1
0x00007fb95cabab40  0x00007fb95cac8657  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/l4lr0f5cjd0nbsaaf8b5dmcw1a1yypr3-glibc-2.27/lib/libpthread.so.0
0x00007fb95d8dcf30  0x00007fb95d8de421  Yes (*)     /gnu/store/gwyb3679v49ljisgkvzay2xa3njgq4ii-linux-pam-1.3.0/lib/security/pam_env.so
(*): Shared library is missing debugging information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Pierre-Antoine Rouby