Subject: bug#32182: Login fail after core-update without reboot

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 16:37:48 +0200

Hi, old bug!  :-)

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I can think of several solutions:
>
>   1. Arrange for services to refer to /gnu/store/…-pam.d instead of
>      /etc/pam.d.  This can maybe be achieved by modifying PAM such that
>      these applications honor $PAM_DIRECTORY or something like that.

We should look into that.

>   2. Add support for “service chain-loading” in the Shepherd and/or
>      GuixSD.  The idea is that, for services that cannot be restarted
>      right away because they are currently running, register code to
>      upgrade the service next time it is restarted (see
>      <https://bugs.gnu.org/30706>).  That way, when ‘login’ restarts
>      after ‘reconfigure’, it’s the new ‘login’ service that would be
>      restarted.

That bit was implemented long ago with Shepherd service replacements.
So at least, now, one can run ‘herd start term-tty1’ or similar to get a
working login:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00496.html

Ludo’.