Subject: bug#32173: 26.1; wdired: broken 'wdired-use-interactive-rename'

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 01:21:25 +0200

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 23:59:19 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 20:15:38 +0200
>> 
>> > Thanks.  I think we should install your original and safer patch on
>> > the release branch, and this more thorough fix on master.  WDYT?
>> 
>> Sounds reasonable.  Should we give the OP a bit longer to react or
>> should I just go ahead and commit the fixes (in any case, I may not be
>> able to until tomorrow or Sunday)?
>
> I think by then we will have waited long enough.
>
>> I also wrote three tests, two for the bug with non-nil
>> wdired-use-interactive-rename, one where the edit is finished and one
>> where it's aborted, and one test for unfinished edits (it might be nice
>> to have a variant of the latter that uses dired-isearch-filenames, but I
>> don't see any straightforward way to emulate isearch in the test
>> environment).  The first two tests are suitable for both fixes, but the
>> third test only succeeds with the fix intended for master, so I use the
>> :expected-result keyword in the test definition.  But should I install
>> the test file on each branch as part of the commit with the respective
>> fix (which won't be merged from release to master), or should I make a
>> separate commit of the test file just to the release branch and let it
>> be merged to master?
>
> You can commit the tests to the emacs-26 branch and let it be merged.
>
> Thanks.

I committed the fixes and the tests.  I'll wait another couple of days
to see if the OP responds, and then close the bug.

Steve Berman