Subject: Re: bug#32173: 26.1; wdired: broken 'wdired-use-interactive-rename'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 23:59:19 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 20:15:38 +0200
> 
> > Thanks.  I think we should install your original and safer patch on
> > the release branch, and this more thorough fix on master.  WDYT?
> 
> Sounds reasonable.  Should we give the OP a bit longer to react or
> should I just go ahead and commit the fixes (in any case, I may not be
> able to until tomorrow or Sunday)?

I think by then we will have waited long enough.

> I also wrote three tests, two for the bug with non-nil
> wdired-use-interactive-rename, one where the edit is finished and one
> where it's aborted, and one test for unfinished edits (it might be nice
> to have a variant of the latter that uses dired-isearch-filenames, but I
> don't see any straightforward way to emulate isearch in the test
> environment).  The first two tests are suitable for both fixes, but the
> third test only succeeds with the fix intended for master, so I use the
> :expected-result keyword in the test definition.  But should I install
> the test file on each branch as part of the commit with the respective
> fix (which won't be merged from release to master), or should I make a
> separate commit of the test file just to the release branch and let it
> be merged to master?

You can commit the tests to the emacs-26 branch and let it be merged.

Thanks.