Subject: Re: bug#32159: 26.1; inhibit-compacting-font-caches does not fix all fonts lagging issue

From: Moses <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:22:27 +0800

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > How to get the correct second argument (script name?)
> It is shown by "C-u C-x =".

OK. I see it now. The info is somewhat not obvious to me.

> > and also the "iso10646-1" (encoding name?)?
> Always use iso10646-1, it makes no sense to use anything else with
> these scripts.

How could a user know that? This should at least put into the manual.

> > I do not find it in C-u C-x = and the manual is not very clear about
> > that. Anyway, why Emacs can not generate a "suggestion" of
> > set-fontset-font in the first place and tell user to add it into
> > .emacs?
> It does, in a way: look at the output of "C-u C-x =".  Besides, how is
> Emacs to know that what happens on your system now is a permanent
> setup?

It needn't be a permanent setup. If Emacs loading time becomes longer
(for example, > 5 sec.), it should prompt users to change their
fontset and give suggestion settings again.
BTW, I still confused why Emacs needs to scan fonts to determine which
character belongs to which font. On the other hand, browsers like
Firefox, Chromium could display every script fonts very fast without
issue.