Subject: 27.0.50; Shell is getting characters when enlarging window

From: James Engel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 13:50:07 -0400

I cloned from git the latest version of emacs.
I start emacs without an init file to be sure nothing in there is causing the issue.
If I start a shell and split the window horizontally I get > > characters on the command line in 
the shell. It doesn’t matter if I shrink/enlarge vertically or horizontally I get the same
characters. The more times I do that the > > characters are added.
Any idea why this is occurring and/or how to fix it?

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2018-07-13 built on gridl054.pok.ibm.com
Repository revision: aeefbc41be093ceb1222d9b430fb44b69de660e2
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.4 (Santiago)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
You can run the command  enlarge-window-horizontally  with C-x } [4 times]

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/afs/apd/projects/alacrite/development/emacs/emacs-27.0.50
 --exec-prefix=/afs/apd/projects/alacrite/development/emacs/emacs-27.0.50
 --with-gif=no --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11
THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils shell pcase easy-mmode derived edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcomplete comint ansi-color ring elec-pair
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108530 8895)
 (symbols 48 20869 1)
 (miscs 40 103 142)
 (strings 32 31309 1923)
 (string-bytes 1 2181363)
 (vectors 16 15219)
 (vector-slots 8 515997 7484)
 (floats 8 56 61)
 (intervals 56 745 711)
 (buffers 992 14)
 (heap 1024 42057 3264))

-- 
James Engel                                     Phone: (802) 769-5644
IBM Inc. 
1000 River Road              
Essex Junction, Vermont, 05452                  Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.com