Subject: [bug#32121] [PATCH 4/5] database: Call a specification 'jobset' instead of 'project'.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 13:56:28 +0200

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This will somehow break a minor part of Tatiana's work because the main
> page will look like
>
> Projects/Specifications
>
> | Name         | Branch       |
> |--------------+--------------|
> | guix-modular | master       |
> | guix-modular | core-updates |
>
>
> instead of
>
> Projects/Specifications
>
> | Name                      |
> |---------------------------|
> | guix-modular-master       |
> | guix-modular-core-updates |

So we’d be moving the project/branch structure to naming conventions.

In a way, that’s not great, because as users we like to think in terms
of branches to answer questions like “how many packages failed in branch
X of the Savannah repo?”.

However, this can probably be addressed at the UI level: the web UI and
guix-hydra.el could list (shortened) repo URLs and branch names instead
of this ‘name’ field.  Eventually, we could remove this ‘name’ field
altogether and instead have an automatically-assigned numerical ID.

WDYT?

(This does not affect this patch series, I’m thinking about what we can
do eventually.)

> However, we could still be able to bind a specification to a branch, but
> that would require adding a 'guix-input' specification field, so that
> the specification knows which input is the one whose branch should be
> displayed.  I doubt it's worth it though.  Or we could replace the
> 'load-path-inputs' field with a 'guix-input' field.  That was kind of
> the point of the 3rd part of my initial message[1].  Or, we could
> automate things: find out from which input the Guix modules come.  That
> would be a bit tricky.

Oh right, since we now have multiple inputs, what I wrote above is not
quite true; there can be several repo URLs/branches that would need to
be shown on the UI.  Hmm, maybe we need to keep the ‘name’, but only as
a hint and not as a key.

Thanks,
Ludo’.