Subject: bug#32120: 26.1; In python.el tab-width should default to 4

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:05:01 -0300

Most python source code uses a tab step of 4 spaces. I think it doesn't
make a lot of sense to default tab-width to 4. Maybe there is a reason
I'm failing to grasp.

---

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-05-29 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Manjaro Linux

Recent messages:
Undo!
Redo!
Undo! [2 times]
user-error: No further undo information [7 times]
(No changes need to be saved)
Undo!
Mark saved where search started
apply: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer python.el.gz>
funcall-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer python.el.gz>
Mark saved where search started [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail noutline
outline jka-compr cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs eieio-opt speedbar sb-image dframe
pandoc-mode-utils dash semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls
semantic/ctxt semantic/dep semantic/find semantic/wisent/python-wy
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
cedet rx misearch multi-isearch autoload lisp-mnt pp cl-print
display-line-numbers checkdoc cl-extra yasnippet elec-pair
highlight-indentation flymake-proc flymake warnings help-fns radix-tree
help-mode elpy find-file-in-project ivy delsel colir color ivy-overlay
ffap thingatpt elpy-shell pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext
esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
elpy-profile elpy-django elpy-refactor subr-x python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time format-spec advice json map grep compile comint ansi-color
files-x doom-themes-org windmove vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags xref project
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-bbdb doom-tomorrow-night-theme
doom-themes doom-themes-common xclip winner ring paren
ido-completing-read+ memoize s cus-edit minibuf-eldef ido gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit company edmacro kmacro pcase cus-start
cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib server time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 842499 39143)
 (symbols 48 42525 1)
 (miscs 40 2367 341)
 (strings 32 94216 4085)
 (string-bytes 1 2809306)
 (vectors 16 71900)
 (vector-slots 8 1835729 170938)
 (floats 8 444 224)
 (intervals 56 5089 98)
 (buffers 992 29))