Subject: Re: bug#32119: Parted molests system firmware partitions.

From: "Laurence Perkins (OE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 22:56:37 +0000

On Thu, 2018-07-19 at 15:24 -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 06:27:30PM +0000, Laurence Perkins (OE)
> wrote:
> > Calling parted -l however attempts to open these devices read-
> > write. 
> > Which fails and generates a dmesg entry that, prior to the 4.14
> > kernel,
> > was difficult to distinguish from the messages generated by a
> > failing
> > eMMC device.
> 
> Which version of parted are you using and does it include this patch:
> 
> https://github.com/bcl/parted/commit/44d5ae0115c4ecfe3158748309e9912c
> 5aede92d
> 
> That should prevent partprobe and parted -l from opening it R/W when
> it
> doesn't need to.
> 

I'm running parted 3.2, which appears to be the latest available
release on the gnu.org ftp site, as well as in my distribution
(Gentoo).  However it's also older than that commit, so it probably
does not have it.  

Is there some super-secret release that's less than four years old that
I'm just not managing to find? Or have distros just been applying
patches themselves and continuing to call it 3.2?  There are some
unstable packages I could try if that's the case just to see if they've
pulled that commit in.

If not I'll try building it my self when I get a chance.

LMP