Subject: bug#32106: 25.2: tabulated-list-resize-current-column [PATCH INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:42:31 -0400

On 2018-07-09 20:22, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 11:56:11 -0400
>
> Boruch, this patch sits in my queue since the day you first posted
> it.  And the reason is that the feature is incomplete, as even you
> point out: such features should support dragging by mouse and other
> GUI niceties.  It also lacks a NEWS entry.

Oh. I received no feedback, so I thought maybe posting it to emacs-bugs
would be a better way of eliciting some response.[1]

Why should lack of GUI bells-and-whistles be a "deal-breaker"? Not
everything in emacs has that, and while I can understand a policy to
_urge_ developers to include GUI support, rejecting incremental
improvements just holds the project back.

As for a 'NEWS' entry, I've never written one before, but based upon
what I see, I don't see much to add than:

  ** New function for tabulated lists:
     'tabulated-list-resize-current-column'

> If you or someone else has time and motivation
> ...

For GUI stuff, I'm not a great candidate, but for what I mentioned that

> > An obvious follow-up idea is a companion function to change the
> > sequence of columns, also a long-common feature in GUI environments.

That's likely. My use-case is that I'm preparing a modification for the
emacs-w3m web browser, for which using tabulated-list mode is one
implementation option; however it lacks these features. I would prefer
to code the functionality in a manner that can be used by others in the
emacs-verse; otherwise, they'll get written as functions specific to
emacs-w3m, and frankly that project has way too much of that type of
double-work already.

[1] Did a similar thing happen with my patches for cua-rectangle-mode? I
posted several bug fixes and maybe other stuff, and haven't heard from
anyone else. Wait a minute - the emacs project isn't a one-man show, and
I'm not expecting you to field all its traffic. I'm sure I cc'ed the
maintainers listed in the file's header.

-- 
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0