Subject: Re: [bug#32102] [PATCH] utils: Fix wrap-program filename generation.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:13:03 -0400

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> writes:

> Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> should WRAP (from python-build-system.scm) wrap files that already
>>> have a wrapper?  I think it shouldn't.
>>
>> I agree with your analysis. How about I send a patch modifying WRAP
>> (from python-build-system) to only wrap non-hidden files (files whose
>> name do not begin with a dot) in bin and sbin?

Sure, sounds reasonable to me.

> That sounds good, but I'm not a Python expert, and I don't know if there
> are cases where hidden files would need to be wrapped.  I'm CCing
> Andreas and Mark because they know better than me.

The change sounds good, but I think it can't be done on master because
it would entail too many rebuilds.  I can't tell you roughly how many,
because as far as I know we don't have tooling to estimate the number of
rebuilds from changing a build system, but I tried adding whitespace to
python-build-system.scm and then running "guix system build -n <config>"
on my GNOME system and the answer was discouraging.

So, I think this is probably a change for core-updates, or possibly for
the next 'staging' cycle if we can come up with a better estimate of how
many builds are needed.

     Thanks,
       Mark