Subject: bug#32093: 27.0.50; M-x grep appends /dev/null to command line

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 11:33:24 +0200

M-x grep RET

with the command line

    git grep --color -n -e simple_trans_list

results in

-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "/usr/local/tmp/lilypond/" -*-
Grep started at Sun Jul  8 11:29:44

git grep --color -n -e simple_trans_list /dev/null
fatal: /dev/null: '/dev/null' is outside repository

Grep exited abnormally with code 128 at Sun Jul  8 11:29:44

I did not ask for /dev/null to be appended to the command line, and
previous incantations didn't do it.  Obviously, not all grep-kind
programs are happy about that change.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-06-20 built on lola
Repository revision: 94a85bd4e4f2e4805f042adde3754fcc325783cb
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Recent messages:
Saving /home/dak/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...
Mark saved where search started
/usr/local/tmp/lilypond 
Reverting buffer ‘emacs-pager.iawaSB’.
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
Grep exited abnormally with code 128
funcall-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer emacs-pager.iawaSB>
Directory /usr/local/tmp/lilypond/
Grep exited abnormally with code 128 [2 times]

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/dak/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.0/auctex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
/home/dak/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.0/tex-site hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site

Features:
(shadow emacsbug grep view thingatpt vc vc-dispatcher jka-compr
git-rebase magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-branch magit-files magit-refs magit-status subr-x magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-process magit-margin magit-mode magit-git
magit-section magit-popup git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log
with-editor async-bytecomp async ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff magit-utils dash
dabbrev url-util shr-color color shr text-property-search svg dom
misearch multi-isearch browse-url gnus-dup cl-print debug flow-fill
mm-archive gnus-kill rfc2104 mailalias smtpmail sendmail nnir sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table
pop3 nndraft gnutls network-stream nsm nndoc nndir nnmh nnml nnfolder
nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
cl-extra help-mode vc-filewise vc-rcs conf-mode make-mode gnuplot-gui cl
gnuplot info-look dired-x dired dired-loaddefs python tramp-sh tramp
trampver tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs ucs-normalize parse-time
format-spec smerge-mode latexenc sh-script smie executable preview
prv-emacs reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars
tex-bar toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex tex-mode shell pcomplete
tex-buf latex edmacro kmacro tex-ispell tex-style tex-info tex dbus xml
crm texinfo lilypond-mode compile comint ansi-color ring cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode scheme
elec-pair advice desktop frameset minibuf-eldef gnus nnheader gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-start cus-load preview-latex server time-date
mule-util tex-site info finder-inf package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 794087 118341)
 (symbols 48 60033 1)
 (miscs 40 1539 2133)
 (strings 32 147127 13081)
 (string-bytes 1 4666111)
 (vectors 16 83326)
 (vector-slots 8 2342372 139566)
 (floats 8 524 805)
 (intervals 56 27893 1511)
 (buffers 992 274))

-- 
David Kastrup