Subject: bug#32088: Python >=3.5 test suite failures

From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 06:05:27 +0100

> > Currently, the automake test suite fails with recent Python versions. I
> > submitted two patches to address these issues to the automake-patches
> > mailing list ~7 weeks ago. Any chance we can get these bugs fixed
> > anytime soon?
> > 
> > [1]
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2018-05/msg00001.ht
> > ml> 
> I am going to review those.
> 
> Thanks for reminding us about that.

Any news here? I mean, Python 2 is going away (if not already gone)...

I've reviewed both patches and added them to the Gentoo version of 
automake.

That said, compatibility with recent python isn't complete then.

1) With the second patch I hit the command line length limit in t/instmany-
python.sh, which then fails (no wonder if every file gets prepended 
__pycache__/ ...). I've worked around that by increasing the limit in t/
instmany-python.sh from the somewhat arbitrary 2500 to 3200. Neverthlesss, 
maybe a more elegant solution is possible.

2) The fix/patch of bug #38043 (Incorrect Python byte-compiling for Python 
3 and PyPy3), which we also carry, interferes with t/py-compile-basedir.sh; 
the number of generated files (line 47 there) is then (only for recent 
Python 3) 6, not 4.

-- 
Andreas K. Hüttel
[email-masked]
Gentoo Linux developer 
(council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)