Subject: bug#32085: 26.1.50; tramp davs

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 18:58:47 +0200

Rajeev Narang <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Rajev,

> Mount(0): www.sivalik.com -> davs://www.sivalik.com/nextcloud/remote.php/webdav
>   Type: GDaemonMount

Thanks.

Well, I've checked the code. Tramp does not expect a directory path as
mount path after the trailing colon of the remote file name. So it
always tries to mount "davs://www.sivalik.com/", and not
"davs://www.sivalik.com/nextcloud/remote.php/webdav".

Therefore, in a file name like
"/davs:www.sivalik.com:/nextcloud/remote.php/webdav/tmp" it cannot
detect, that everything before the "/tmp" subdirectory belongs to the
mount path. Maybe we could find a way to instruct Tramp for this case,
but this would require a syntax extension of remote file names.

So I'm sorry, but I must point you to the new owncloud method of
Tramp. If you don't want to switch to Emacs 27.0.50, you might install
the recently released Tramp 2.4.0 in parallel to Emacs 26.1. This shall
be good enough for the owncloud method.

I will extend the Tramp manual, mentioning this restriction.

Best regards, Michael.