Subject: Re: bug#32032: 26.1; Emacs 26 opens under X with blank window

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 16:04:08 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

>> > >     ./configure --without-gnutls --without-backbuffer
>> > >
>> >
>> > Iʼd call it --without-xdbe
>>
>> Or maybe --disable-double-buffering?
>
> I think sticking with the --without-... pattern makes sense.
>

Yes, as it a compile time option, not a run-time disabling of the
feature. If you call it 'without-double-buffering' please make Xdbe
appear in the help string, it would help people search for it.

>> > Eli, would such a change require copyright assignment? 
>
> What’s this copyright assignment about? A GNU thing?

Yes. The FSF requires that substantial changes to GNU programs have
their copyright assigned to them (although you still retain your
rights to the changes as well). Explained in greater detail here:
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.en.html>

For small changes such assignment is not required, but if you plan to
make lots of contributions itʼs a good idea. The process is relatively
painless.

Robert