Subject: Re: bug#32032: 26.1; Emacs 26 opens under X with blank window

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 14:50:22 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

>>>> Given that there are known bugs with this feature that no one is
>>>> working on, perhaps we should introduce an optional configure switch>>> to build without double-buffering.
>>> 
>>> Agreed. Does it make sense for a Emacs source code newbie to chip
>>> in here?> 
>> Of course.  We were all newbies at some point.
>
> I created a new `configure.ac` (see
> https://gist.github.com/halloleo/8f4ba4b1ffcc3874a2ee0e16e03f6618) which
> provides a `--without-backbuffer` option:
>     ./configure --without-gnutls --without-backbuffer
>

Iʼd call it --without-xdbe, since thatʼs the name of the X
extension. You should probably also add it to the output of configure
(all those "Does Emacs use <foo>" lines), and to
emacs_config_features.

> then builds an Emacs exe which starts up properly on unbuffered X
> servers without any custom `.emacs` file.
> Where do I put the `configure.ac` file and how do I create a pull
> request for it?

We donʼt do pull requests. Creating a git format-patch (including a
ChangeLog entry), is probably the easiest way to get the change
in. Itʼs possible you'll need to complete a copyright assignment [1]

Eli, would such a change require copyright assignment? I suspect the
change is less than 10 lines.

Regards

Robert

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, thereʼs a lot of inertia to overcome before you can
     contribute to emacs.