Subject: bug#32030: closed (Re: bug#32030: 27.0.50; debug-on-signal, void-variable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 02:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32030: 27.0.50; debug-on-signal, void-variable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32030: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32030
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32030: 27.0.50; debug-on-signal, void-variable
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: Brady Trainor <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 04:22:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

> forwarded 32030 https://github.com/nex3/dart-mode/issues/30
> quit
>
> On 2 July 2018 at 01:38, Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> If this is getting called from redisplay, I think the debugger might be
>> suppressed from that context, even if you set debug-on-signal.  I seem
>> to recall triggerring refontification synchronously with M-o M-o
>> (font-lock-fontify-block) worked for me in a similar situation (although
>> it's possible you won't hit the error this way).
>
> I can get a backtrace this way, I posted to the dart-mode issue:
>
> https://github.com/nex3/dart-mode/issues/30#issuecomment-403521238

This issue seems to not be related to a third party package (and the
link to the issue in the dart-mode issue tracker has additionally now
been fixed).  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Thanks,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 27.0.50; debug-on-signal, void-variable
From: Brady Trainor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 18:38:06 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With a new ~/.emacs.d and init.el, only containing the following

(setq debug-on-error t)
(setq debug-on-signal t)

I get errors, seen in 27.0.50, about electric-pair-pairs, also tested in
24.5.1, there with ispell-dictionary. I provide more details for the
former. When I start with `emacs -nw`, I see

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable electric-pair-pairs)
  default-toplevel-value(electric-pair-pairs)
  custom-initialize-reset(electric-pair-pairs (funcall (function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x40ef2fa3>))))
  custom-declare-variable(electric-pair-pairs (funcall (function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x40ef2fa3>))) "Alist of pairs that should be used regardless of major mode.\n\nPairs of delimiters in this list are a fallback in case they have\nno syntax relevant to `electric-pair-mode' in the mode's syntax\ntable.\n\nSee also the variable `electric-pair-text-pairs'." :version "24.1" :group electricity :type (repeat (cons character character)))
  byte-code("\300\301!\210\302\303\304\305\306DD\307\310\311\312\313\314\315&\11\210\302\316\304\305\317DD\320\310\321\312\313\314\322&\11\210\302\323\304\305\324DD\325\310\311\312\313\314\326&\11\210\302\327\304\305\330DD\331\310\321\312\313\314\332&\11\210\302\333\304\305\334DD\335\310\321\312\313\314\336&\11\210\302\337\304\305\340DD\341\310\321\312\313\314\342&\11\210\302\343\304\305\344DD\345\310\321\312\313\314\346&\11\210\302\347\304\305\350DD\351\310\321\312\313\314\352&\11\210\302\353\304\305\354DD\355\310\321\312\313\314\356&\11\207" [require electric custom-declare-variable electric-pair-pairs funcall function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x40ef2fa3>) "Alist of pairs that should be used regardless of major mode.\n\nPairs of delimiters in this list are a fallback in case they have\nno syntax relevant to `electric-pair-mode' in the mode's syntax\ntable.\n\nSee also the variable `electric-pair-text-pairs'." :version "24.1" :group electricity :type (repeat (cons character character)) electric-pair-text-pairs #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149cde7>) "Alist of pairs that should always be used in comments and strings.\n\nPairs of delimiters in this list are a fallback in case they have\nno syntax relevant to `electric-pair-mode' in the syntax table\ndefined in `electric-pair-text-syntax-table'" "24.4" (repeat (cons character character)) electric-pair-skip-self #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149cdf3>) "If non-nil, skip char instead of inserting a second closing paren.\n\nWhen inserting a closing paren character right before the same character,\njust skip that character instead, so that hitting ( followed by ) results\nin \"()\" rather than \"())\".\n\nThis can be convenient for people who find it easier to hit ) than C-f.\n\nCan also be a function of one argument (the closer char just\ninserted), in which case that function's return value is\nconsidered instead." (choice (const :tag "Never skip" nil) (const :tag "Help balance" electric-pair-default-skip-self) (const :tag "Always skip" t) function) electric-pair-inhibit-predicate #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149d50f>) "Predicate to prevent insertion of a matching pair.\n\nThe function is called with a single char (the opening char just inserted).\nIf it returns non-nil, then `electric-pair-mode' will not insert a matching\ncloser." (choice (const :tag "Conservative" electric-pair-conservative-inhibit) (const :tag "Help balance" electric-pair-default-inhibit) (const :tag "Always pair" ignore) function) electric-pair-preserve-balance #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149d51f>) "Non-nil if default pairing and skipping should help balance parentheses.\n\nThe default values of `electric-pair-inhibit-predicate' and\n`electric-pair-skip-self' check this variable before delegating to other\npredicates responsible for making decisions on whether to pair/skip some\ncharacters based on the actual state of the buffer's parentheses and\nquotes." boolean electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149d52f>) "If non-nil, backspacing an open paren also deletes adjacent closer.\n\nCan also be a function of no arguments, in which case that function's\nreturn value is considered instead." (choice (const :tag "Yes" t) (const :tag "No" nil) function) electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149d53f>) "If non-nil, a newline between adjacent parentheses opens an extra one.\n\nCan also be a function of no arguments, in which case that function's\nreturn value is considered instead." (choice (const :tag "Yes" t) (const :tag "No" nil) function) electric-pair-skip-whitespace #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149d54f>) "If non-nil skip whitespace when skipping over closing parens.\n\nThe specific kind of whitespace skipped is given by the variable\n`electric-pair-skip-whitespace-chars'.\n\nThe symbol `chomp' specifies that the skipped-over whitespace\nshould be deleted.\n\nCan also be a function of no arguments, in which case that function's\nreturn value is considered instead." (choice (const :tag "Yes, jump over whitespace" t) (const :tag "Yes, and delete whitespace" chomp) (const :tag "No, no whitespace skipping" nil) function) electric-pair-skip-whitespace-chars #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x4149d563>) "Whitespace characters considered by `electric-pair-skip-whitespace'." (choice (set (const :tag "Space" 32) (const :tag "Tab" 9) (const :tag "Newline" 10)) (list character))] 10)
  require(elec-pair)
  emacs-lisp-mode()
  lisp-interaction-mode()
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

Thank you.

--
Brady

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.4.0, NS appkit-1561.20 Version 10.13.3 (Build 17D102))
 of 2018-04-11 built on iams-MacBook-Air.local
Repository revision: 57442b6812e9ec565efc39f722e84079dd71d8c0
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.13.3

Recent messages:
Entering debugger...
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD-57442b6/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD-57442b6 --without-x --with-xml2
 --with-dbus --with-gnutls --with-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg
 --without-pop --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu cl-print time-date
debug cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 205718 11264)
 (symbols 48 20057 1)
 (miscs 40 46 153)
 (strings 32 29209 1884)
 (string-bytes 1 774252)
 (vectors 16 33499)
 (vector-slots 8 681241 10856)
 (floats 8 52 342)
 (intervals 56 644 0)
 (buffers 992 12))