Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 04/11] gnu: icecat: Make language packs reproducible.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:02:17 -0500

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
> * gnu/packages/patches/icecat-reproducible-langpacks.patch: New file.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Register. it.
> * gnu/packages/gnuzilla.scm (icecat-source): Apply it.

Instead of adding this patch in Guix, let's make the change in upstream
IceCat.

Among other things, adding a 'patches' field to 'icecat-source' has the
unfortunate consequence of forcing an additional 'patch-and-repack'
phase during the build, which unpacks the entire multigigabyte source
code, applies the patch, and repacks it all again.

Would you like to submit a commit to the gnuzilla repo that simply adds
the 'icecat-reproducible-langpacks.patch' file to the data/patches/
directory?  I guess the file names in the patch also need a component
added to the front (e.g. "a/" and "b/").

If you don't want to do it, I'll do it.  In any case, it should be
removed from this series of commits for Guix.

Does that make sense?

      Regards,
        Mark