Subject: bug#32026: [PATCH 05/10] gnu: Add icecat-l10n and icedove-l10n.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:45:49 -0500

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
> * gnu/packages/gnuzilla.scm (%icecat-locales, %icedove-locales): New variable.
> (make-l10n-package): New procedure.
> (icecat-l10n, icedove-l10n): New variables.

Thanks very much for this important work.  Our lack of support for
language packs has been sore spot for several years, and I'm profoundly
grateful to you for taking this on and getting it done!

For now, I have just two general questions/comments:

(1) Instead of generating the locales in separate "*-locales" packages
    and then merging them with the main package (which must then be
    renamed to "*-minimal"), how feasible would it be to incorporate the
    locale generation directly into the existing packages?

(2) In terms of the API, I very much dislike the approach of having the
    'make-l10n-package' accept just one argument: a symbol, which it
    uses to construct the variable names of toplevel variables that must
    be looked up using 'module-ref'.  I'd greatly prefer to simply pass
    in all of the variables that are needed.

What do you think?

I'll hold off on a more detailed review until we can (hopefully) reach
agreement on the overall approach.

     Thanks again!
         Mark