Subject: bug#32026: [PATCH 03/10] gnu: Define UPSTREAM-FIREFOX-SOURCE at the top level.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:26:52 -0500

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/gnuzilla.scm (%icecat-base-version): New variable.
> (%upstream-firefox-version): Likewise.
> (%icecat-version): Define in terms of %icecat-base-version.
> (upstream-firefox-source): New variable.
> (icecat-source): Adjust to use the above newly introduced variables.

I'm deeply uncomfortable binding toplevel variables, even unexported
ones, that provide non-FSDG-complaint software.  I guess that the
primary motivation for this commit was to make it easier to use the
'update-mozilla-locales' helper.

In an earlier message <https://bugs.gnu.org/32026#100>, I suggested an
alternative way to use the code in your proposed
'update-mozilla-locales' helper which would eliminate the need to expose
any *firefox* toplevel variables.  I hope you'll find that alternative
approach acceptable, so that we can avoid exposing non-FSDG-compliant
software in our toplevel bindings.

What do you think?

      Thanks,
        Mark