Subject: bug#32022: bug#22629: “Stable” branch

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:01:52 +0200

Hello,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> What do you mean by “limit it to channels”?  ‘%default-channels’ is an
>> alias for the official Guix channel (IOW, Guix itself.)
>
> Fine, but I rarely care about all of Guix, or all of any other channel.
> I care about the small subset of packages that I actually use.
>
> Better yet, with a per-manifest/profile approach, I could put my most
> critical packages in a special profile and get updates for them more
> quickly, while still working only with substitutes.

Sure!  The hypothetical procedure I gave can perform arbitrary checks;
it could be passed a manifest.

> BTW, just out of curiosity: for how many commits in Guix history all
> packages could be built successfully? Is that the rule of the exception?

We never have 100% of successful builds.  Of course we do our best to
keep the failure rate low, but sometimes there are unpopular packages
that remain broken for some time, or there are packages for which we
forgot to exclude some systems via ‘supported-systems’, and of course
there’s unintended breakage.

Ludo’.