Subject: bug#32004: 25.2; Package-install-package Failed to verify signature file-error Setting current directory No such file or directory

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 12:29:56 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Is there a standard thing we can use in these circumstances where it
>> doesn't much matter what default-directory is, other than that it has to
>> exist?  (And probably has to be readable.)
>>
>> A `with-ensured-directory' or something might be nice?  Or do we just
>> bind default-directory to "/"?
>
> I'd prefer to bind it to "~" to make sure it's writable too (just in
> case).  Also, emacs run as root doesn't risk polluting "/" with
> spurious temporary files if there is some writing going on when there
> shouldn't be.

Most processes don't really write anything anywhere -- they just need to
have a directory that exists...

The use case here is that you open ~/foo/bar/something in a buffer, then
rmdir ~/foo/bar, and then try to start a process from that buffer --
it'll fail, because default-directory doesn't point to something that
exists.  

> Or we could use the same value as
> url-temporary-directory: (or (getenv "TMPDIR") "/tmp")

That's also a good value.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no