Subject: Re: bug#32002: 24.4; Scroll bar start, end not correct

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 08:19:30 -0700

martin rudalics wrote:

> Maybe Mike's theme doesn't show the arrow keys or the mouse position
> gets interpreted wrongly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "arrow keys".  Is this the same thing as
the "stepper buttons" I've been referring to?

> At least his "right-click in the scrollbar
> above or below the thumb (slider)" is a misinterpretation of how
> scroll bars are supposed to behave.  Such clicks should be interpreted
> as "jumps" as I tried to explain elsewhere.

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkScrollbar.html is the closest
I've found to documentation on how a (GTK3) scrollbar is supposed to
behave.  I do not see that it says what should happen if the user
right-clicks.  So I am not convinced that I have misinterpreted
anything.  I did test my right-click idea on gedit before posting it,
and a single right-click in the scroll area behaved the same as
left-clicking on the corresponding stepper button.

I have found some discussion at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1495520, which suggests that
right-click is intended for smooth scrolling--at least in some versions
of GTK3.  And I see that right-click-and-hold does produce smooth
scrolling on gedit, though I'm unable to get the variable-speed effect
mentioned at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1495520#c9.

Could it make a difference that I've been using MATE and Cinnamon for
testing?

Anyway, my original comments were about the behavior of Emacs when I
click on a stepper button.  I would be happy to limit future discussion
to that use case.

mike