Subject: Re: [bug#31999] [PATCH 5/7] gnu: Add dmraid. --- Failed to build from master

From: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 13:21:22 +1000

On 07/31/18 04:44, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> * gnu/package/disk.scm (dmraid): New variable.
> LGTM.

dmraid failed to build for me when I reconfigured. This change has
broken my ability to reconfigure as dmraid has crept in to my OS config
via udisks, even though I don't know anything about it and don't seem to
need it at all.

If guix pull was using a model with a delayed 'stable' branch as has
been discussed, this would mean I'd have caught this bug before any
regular user saw it. Currently, patches sit on the mailing list until
maybe one maintainer tests them and pushes them (I presume), so bugs get
immediately propagated to all users. If master was not immediately
pushed to all users, it would mean that all of us developers could
voluntarily choose to guix pull with master and thus become 'beta
testers' for all new patches that passed the initial screening by the
maintainer with git access. All nonurgent patches would have to run the
bug-catching gauntlet of master before it made it to stable. Currently,
I don't do any testing at all of other peoples patches on the list
simply because it would take effort to download, commit the patches to a
branch, and build, but I'm happy to be a zero-effort tester simply by
continuing to pull from master for my own system.

----------------------

gcc -o libdmraid.so -O2 -fPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings
-Winline -DDMRAID_AUTOREGISTER -O2
-Wl,-rpath=/gnu/store/gr6ik2qp7vfqgfrnb9r1qj9x6x9w981s-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3/lib
activate/activate.o activate/devmapper.o device/ata.o device/partition.o
device/scan.o device/scsi.o display/display.o format/format.o
locking/locking.o log/log.o metadata/log_ops.o metadata/metadata.o
metadata/reconfig.o misc/file.o misc/init.o misc/lib_context.o
misc/misc.o misc/workaround.o mm/dbg_malloc.o format/ataraid/asr.o
format/ataraid/hpt37x.o format/ataraid/hpt45x.o format/ataraid/isw.o
format/ataraid/jm.o format/ataraid/lsi.o format/ataraid/nv.o
format/ataraid/pdc.o format/ataraid/sil.o format/ataraid/via.o
format/ddf/ddf1.o format/ddf/ddf1_lib.o format/ddf/ddf1_crc.o
format/ddf/ddf1_cvt.o format/ddf/ddf1_dump.o format/partition/dos.o
register/dmreg.o \
        -shared -Wl,--discard-all -Wl,--no-undefined
-Wl,--version-script,../lib/.export.sym \
        -Wl,-soname,libdmraid.so.1 \
        -ldevmapper-event -ldevmapper -ldl
gcc -o libdmraid-events-isw.so -O2 -fPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wcast-align
-Wwrite-strings -Winline -DDMRAID_AUTOREGISTER -O2
-Wl,-rpath=/gnu/store/gr6ik2qp7vfqgfrnb9r1qj9x6x9w981s-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3/lib
events/libdmraid-events-isw.o \
        -shared -Wl,--discard-all -Wl,--no-undefined
-Wl,-soname,libdmraid-events-isw.so \
        libdmraid.so -ldevmapper-event -ldevmapper -lpthread
ar r libdmraid.a activate/activate.o activate/devmapper.o device/ata.o
device/partition.o device/scan.o device/scsi.o display/display.o
format/format.o locking/locking.o log/log.o metadata/log_ops.o
metadata/metadata.o metadata/reconfig.o misc/file.o misc/init.o
misc/lib_context.o misc/misc.o misc/workaround.o mm/dbg_malloc.o
format/ataraid/asr.o format/ataraid/hpt37x.o format/ataraid/hpt45x.o
format/ataraid/isw.o format/ataraid/jm.o format/ataraid/lsi.o
format/ataraid/nv.o format/ataraid/pdc.o format/ataraid/sil.o
format/ataraid/via.o format/ddf/ddf1.o format/ddf/ddf1_lib.o
format/ddf/ddf1_crc.o format/ddf/ddf1_cvt.o format/ddf/ddf1_dump.o
format/partition/dos.o register/dmreg.o
gcc: error: libdmraid.so: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [Makefile:83: libdmraid-events-isw.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ar: creating libdmraid.a
ranlib libdmraid.a
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/tmp/guix-build-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3.drv-0/dmraid/1.0.0.rc16-3/dmraid/lib'
make: *** [make.tmpl:120: lib] Error 2
Backtrace:
           4 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/4mmzx3xfbbpmaafdl8hdadsa2ah…")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   191:35  3 (_ _)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
    640:9  2 (for-each #<procedure a30b00 at /gnu/store/f95ghy8mx00…> …)
In
/gnu/store/f95ghy8mx00fc22nrvswvnpqlfdkf2nk-module-import/guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:
   799:31  1 (_ _)
In
/gnu/store/f95ghy8mx00fc22nrvswvnpqlfdkf2nk-module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:
    616:6  0 (invoke _ . _)

/gnu/store/f95ghy8mx00fc22nrvswvnpqlfdkf2nk-module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:616:6:
In procedure invoke:
Throw to key `srfi-34' with args `(#<condition &invoke-error [program:
"make" arguments: ("-j" "8") exit-status: 2 term-signal: #f stop-signal:
#f] 68fc00>)'.
builder for
`/gnu/store/1pijciihl4mlkk81hvr7sz1bvlhbgjsy-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3.drv'
failed with exit code 1
@ build-failed
/gnu/store/1pijciihl4mlkk81hvr7sz1bvlhbgjsy-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3.drv - 1
builder for
`/gnu/store/1pijciihl4mlkk81hvr7sz1bvlhbgjsy-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3.drv'
failed with exit code 1
guix build: error: build failed: build of
`/gnu/store/1pijciihl4mlkk81hvr7sz1bvlhbgjsy-dmraid-1.0.0.rc16-3.drv' failed