Subject: bug#31990: 26.1; Stuck in loop trying to send bug report

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:19:12 +0200

Live System User <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This is already in place, and it works for me, but itʼs not working
>> correctly for you. Could you provide more details on how youʼre
>> specifying your username/password? Based on looking at the code, this
>> situation could arise if you only set smtpmail-smtp-user without
>> having an entry in .authinfo.
>
>   That's my situation.
>
>   I don't have and don't want that entry saved on disk.

Which entry? Thereʼs no need to store the password, a .authinfo with
just

machine my.mail.provider login myname port 465

should be enough to get auth-source to prompt you for the password
straight after the SMTP server sends its capabilities (and this will
not cause the password to be stored on disk).

Robert