Subject: bug#31990: 26.1; Stuck in loop trying to send bug report

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 05:41:13 -0400

Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:

> Live System User <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>
>> `Unfortunally not because of Emacs not issuing a STARTTLS  command...
>
> Could you show us your emacs mail configuration? Gnus normally does
> opportunistic TLS upgrade, and I thought that was the default for
> open-network-stream as well. [1]
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  Iʼm not a big fan of STARTTLS, as itʼs vulnerable to
>      man-in-the-middle capability stripping. I use direct TLS
>      connections to port 465 instead.

       Thanks for this footnote.  I used it to rule out whether
       or not STARTTLS was rhe (main) problem,

       Turns out it wasn't: a direct TLS connrction yielded the
       same unsuccessful results.  This caused me to look more
       closely at the first SMTP transaction log whicn should
       have issued a STARTTLS command.

       Unfortunately, Emacs only records in its
       *trace of SMTP sesssion to...* buffer the responses from
       the SMTP server and mot also what commands are sent to it.
       So while I presumed that a STARTTLS command wasn't being
       issued because it failed and I wasn't being asked to
       provide a password, a now closer look reveals that it
       apparently was sent.

       So it's failing for another reason which a direct TLS
       connection helps to confirm.

       It appears I have a similar problem as Ulrich Mueller
       which he reported back April of last year in bug#26359;

           https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26359

      His workaround. a `defadvice` also works for me.

      Hopefully. a fix will solve these issues and allow one to
      designatre for a partiular network connection that a
      password is required (supplied or prompted for) upon an
      initial connection and not just only after an initial
      unauthenticated connetion failure;

      Not sure if this bug report should be merged with bug#26359
      as I have more than just one issue or should I open up  new
      bug report for those?
      
      Thanks.