Subject: bug#31988: scroll-other-window broken on master

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 16:50:47 +0300

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 16:40:17 +0300
> 
> I don't yet feel particularly good at or confident with writing
> changelog entries, let alone Emacs C code, so any guidance is more than
> welcome now and in the future.

I think you are doing just fine, thank you.  There's always some
learning curve, of course.  CONTRIBUTE should tell you enough, and you
can study the log messages by veterans to pick up the spirit.

The "inaccurate" part in my message related not to your wording (which
was fine, AFAICT), but to the fact that the important part of your fix
was to call save-excursion in the described case, not the part that
set the buffer (which was actually a no-op).

> I'm not sure whether Daniel's addition of the 'close' tag had the
> intended effect

It should have, but it looks like it didn't for some reason.

> so I'm taking the liberty of CCing <[email-masked]>; if
> this was the wrong thing to do, please let me know what I should
> have done instead.

Doing that for a bug that should be closed can never do any harm, even
if it was already closed.  (You also don't need to CC both NNN@ and
NNN-done@, as the message gets recorded by the tracker even if you
only use the latter.)

Thanks.