Subject: Re: bug#31978: 26.1.50; "s" in gnus *Group* error: "eieio-override-prin1: Apparently circular structure being printed"

From: Tim Landscheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 17:21:37 +0000

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>> I am using Gnus in Emacs 26.

>>> Would you mind cherry-picking or otherwise applying the patch in
>>> ffbb4e8d54, and see if that solves the problem? I think it probably
>>> will.

>> As I ran into this issue today (with Emacs 26.1): To apply
>> the patch, is it sufficient to redefine
>> eieio-persistent-validate/fix-slot-value in the running in-
>> stance, or do I need to do something more?

> That would suffice, but it wouldn't guarantee that the fix was available
> next time you start Emacs. For that, you'd want to make sure that the
> code was changed in your Emacs codebase, and then run "make" or
> otherwise ensure it was compiled in. Depends on how you run Emacs.

I redefined eieio-persistent-validate/fix-slot-value as per
ffbb4e8d542df44ced5afd89221b0dfb234d8525 in Emacs 26.1, and
it did not solve this issue, still emitting:

| eieio-override-prin1: Apparently circular structure being printed

(and barring Gnus from exiting).

P. S.: The GNU Bug Tracker does not automatically send re-
       plies to other participants, so you need to manually
       "wide reply".