Subject: bug#31971: meson-build-system uses 'patchelf' which fails on armhf-linux etc

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 22:12:53 +0200

Hello,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> I believe you're mistaken.  Those commits eliminated one of the uses of
>> 'patchelf' in meson-build-system, but there still remains a call to
>> 'augment-rpath' which uses patchelf, and patchelf is still added as an
>> implicit input.

Yeah, the reason is that implementing ‘augment-rpath’ is obviously
harder than implementing ‘shrink-rpath’ (the result might not fit.)

> Since I'm here, I'd like to point out that there has been some activity
> upstream recently around RPATH handling:
>
> https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/commit/e3757e3d3cf24327c89dd3fc40f6cc933510f676
>
> I believe this commit eliminates the need for "shrink-rpath", and
> facilities are planned to also control the installed RUNPATH.

I don’t fully understand what this commit does, but it seems to be a
step in the right direction.

The “XXX” found in the RUNPATH of Epiphany
(<https://bugs.gnu.org/31970>) also seem to be there as a way to allow
RUNPATH to be adjusted upon install, meaning that we wouldn’t have
anything to do on our side.

In the meantime, I wonder if we can remove the patchelf dependency
selectively for packages where the patchelf phase isn’t necessary.
Epiphany may well fall into that category.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.