Subject: Re: bug#31968: 26.1.50; Allow to hide title bar on maximize (gtk/gnome/csd)

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 12:07:52 +0200

Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> writes:

> In gnome decorations are considered part of the client (even classic
> titlebars) in the sense that it's the client who decides to show them or
> not (see [1] and [2]). In waylan there is no other way around, but they
> also decided to pretend X apps behave like that. This is very frustrating
> since the reality is that many clients don't work in that way yet.
>
> So this is a request to add a gtk-hide-titlebar-if-maximized or similar
> variable since I assume emacs won't be using proper CSDs for a long
> time, maybe for good. Without that variable it's not possible to achieve
> the same humble goal in the strange new world of gnome, at least not without
> lots of xprop, xwinifo, xdotool, wmctrl, etc. horrible hacks. As I said,
> it's supposed to be the client who knows what to show and when to show
> it.

Could you explain in a bit more detail what GTK call(s) would need to
change in order to implement such a variable? That would allow us to
evaluate the effort (although personally Iʼd rather spend effort
towards implementing GTK as a native frame type).

Regards

Robert