Subject: Re: [bug#31952] [PATCH] gnu: git: Update to 2.18.0.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 22:01:20 +0200

Hello,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi Marius!
>>
>> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (git): Update to 2.18.0.
>>> [native-inputs]: Add BASH.
>>> [arguments]: In #:make-flags, define SHELL_PATH and TEST_SHELL_PATH.
>>> Add #:disallowed-references.  Drop /bin/sh substitution from Makefile.  Add
>>> phase to prevent BASH from ending up in PATH.  Delete 'patch-shebangs' phase.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> +        ;; FIXME: This phase picks up the wrong bash when patching shebangs.
>>> +        (delete 'patch-shebangs)
>>
>> Do the installed scripts still have the right shebang in spite of this?
>
> I haven't yet compared the results with and without this phase, but
> "normal" usage (including "send-email") works at least.

OK.  I suppose you can simply grep for “^#!” and make sure there’s
nothing suspicious like /usr/bin/something.

>> Removing this phase altogether sounds a bit risky.  Another option would
>> have been to replace it with one that moves the “right” Bash to the
>> front of PATH and then calls the original ‘patch-shebangs’ phase.
>
> The problem is that 'patch-shebangs' does not use PATH, but instead
> iterates over inputs directly.  It's supposed to prefer 'inputs' to
> 'native-inputs' (according to a comment), yet in this case it picks the
> native "full" bash rather than bash-minimal.

OK.

> If you read closely, you'll notice that 'bash-for-tests' is not in PATH
> at all.  'patch-source-shebangs' and other things that use (which "sh")
> works okay due to that.

It may be that moving “bash-for-tests” to ‘inputs’ actually solves the
problem (and we don’t have to worry about cross-compilation since “make
check” does nothing when cross-compiling) and we can keep the
‘patch-shebangs’ phase.

But yeah, if this patch works, we can go for it.

Thank you!

Ludo’.