Subject: bug#31946: 27.0.50; The NSM should warn about more TLS problems

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 18:10:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> (open-network-stream "foo" nil "dh-composite.badssl.com" "https" :tls t)
>> 
>> a short way to write the above.  I.e., the default TLS parameters (which
>> is what you need in 99.9% of the cases) would be used if you just say
>> :tls t.
>> 
>> Does that sound OK to you, Eli?
>
> Sounds good, but does it really require a new property?  Why not a
> special value of the existing :tls-parameters?  For example:
>
>   (open-network-stream "foo" nil "dh-composite.badssl.com" "https"
>                        :tls-parameters 'tls-defaults)

Yes, that would work, too.

But I think (considering the semantics and discoverability of the
interface), that a separate :tls parameter would be nice.  If the user
wonders "how to I make this connection encrypted?  Ah, :tls t".  It
seems like a logical interface.

For instance in constructions like

(open-network-stream ... :tls (and foo bar))

it seems more idiomatic. 

While :tls-parameters 'tls-defaults is something that seems less natural
to me.  :tls t :tls-parameters ... for the extremely, extremely few that
need to specify the parameters explicitly doesn't seem like a huge
imposition, either...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no