Subject: Re: bug#31927: 26.1; Fragment/bookmark part of URL omitted in default offered by `eww'

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:57:21 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked] (N. Jackson),  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 15:10:42 +0200
>> 
>> >>   3. M-: (thing-at-point-url-at-point) RET
>> >>   => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer#History
>> >> 
>> >>   4. M-: (url-get-url-at-point) RET
>> >>   => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer
>> >> 
>> >> Is it expected for these two functions to behave differently here?
>> >
>> > Yes, that's the question.  I hope Lars (CC'ed) could comment on that.
>> 
>> I think the behaviour of `url-get-url-at-point' is suboptimal here.
>> Perhaps we should just make eww use `thing-at-point-url-at-point'
>> instead?  And mark `url-get-url-at-point' as obsolete, as it doesn't
>> seem very actively maintained and duplicates thingatpt functionality.
>
> Probably.  Unless some functionality really needs to ignore the parts
> after the hash, for some reason.

If it's really needed, then it's probably better to parse the url and
explicitly remove unwanted parts.  I notice this bug is pretty similar
to Bug#898 "ffap -> emacs-w3m dropping of #anchor"; it seems pretty
clear that dropping the part after the hash is the wrong thing in web
browsing contexts.