Subject: Re: bug#31924: 27.0.50; tramp handler /sudo::FILE fails when /bin/sh points to zsh

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 13:00:36 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Tino,

>> Please consider to apply the restricted patch at the end of this
>> message.  It's clean and it doesn't add method specific stuff.
>>
>> I have successfully connected into a remote machine using this patch,
>> with my local machine having:
>> /bin/sh -> /bin/zsh
>
> Looks OK to me. You could install it into master.

Somehow, this patch hasn't been applied ever. And there were also
problems with multi-hop, IIRC. Hmm.

Some weeks ago, I've worked on support of zsh in Tramp for remote
shells. So I've taken the opportunity to come back to this bug, which is
about the local (encoding) shell being zsh.

I've applied a patch to Emacs master, which should fix this. Could you
please test? All you need is to run (setq tramp-encoding-shell "/usr/bin/zsh")
in advance, which tells Tramp to use the proper arguments from
`tramp-sh-extra-args'.

Best regards, Michael.