Subject: 26.1.50; Add a convenient way to get flymake error at point

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 02:45:58 -0300

Currently flymake gives a visual hint of an error location but to get the
message of that error you need either to:

1. Move the mouse over the error location and wait for a tooltip to
appear.

2. Move the point before (after) the error location and use the commands
to get the next (previous) error.

Now 2 is clearly not ideal since it forces the user to locate the point in
non-intuitive positions (intuitive position = where the error
highlighting is) and to type long commands.

At first sight 1 seems to address this fact but, hey, the mouse?
A tooltip delay? It's nice to have it but a standard keybinding is
missing here IMO. Besides, it's not so easy to define a custom one since
there is no error-at-point function, one has to get the point location,
then the diagnostics for that location, then the text for those diagnostics.

---

In GNU Emacs 26.1.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-06-18 built on carlos
Repository revision: 0a8b7f365cbc8de02ddb4e806dd76b1bf6302565
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Manjaro Linux

Recent messages:
Creating group entries...done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
next-line: End of buffer
Quit
Eldoc mode disabled in current buffer
Mark set
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Making completion list...
flymake-diagnostic-text: Wrong type argument: flymake--diag, 172
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/carlos/Local/stow/emacs-26
 --libexecdir=/home/carlos/Local/stow/emacs-26/lib --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-xft --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail two-column
iso-transl eieio-opt speedbar sb-image dframe semantic/wisent/python
semantic/db-mode semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref semantic/db eieio-base semantic/decorate/mode
semantic/decorate pulse semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls
semantic/ctxt semantic/dep semantic/find semantic/wisent/python-wy
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet rx
allout-widgets allout all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons debug noutline outline jka-compr find-func pp cl-print
autoload lisp-mnt misearch multi-isearch display-line-numbers checkdoc
flymake-proc flymake warnings doom-themes-org vc-git cl-extra yasnippet
elec-pair highlight-indentation help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy
find-file-in-project ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt windmove
diff-mode easy-mmode elpy-shell pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
elpy-profile elpy-django elpy-refactor subr-x python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time format-spec advice json map grep compile comint ansi-color
files-x company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags xref
project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
doom-tomorrow-night-theme doom-themes doom-themes-common xclip winner
ring paren ido-completing-read+ memoize s cus-edit minibuf-eldef ido
gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit company edmacro kmacro pcase
cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib server time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1931212 109955)
 (symbols 48 39622 1)
 (miscs 40 3436 609)
 (strings 32 115065 3324)
 (string-bytes 1 2950094)
 (vectors 16 79121)
 (vector-slots 8 1950064 121286)
 (floats 8 516 347)
 (intervals 56 8533 727)
 (buffers 992 43))