Subject: 26.1.50; Properly set completion-at-point-functions in eshell

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 23:34:03 -0300

Currently C-M-i is bound to:

(defun eshell-complete-lisp-symbol ()
  "Try to complete the text around point as a Lisp symbol."
  (interactive)
  (let ((completion-at-point-functions '(lisp-completion-at-point)))
    (completion-at-point)))

This is fine but interferes with other completion frameworks that peep
into completion-at-point-functions, for example company.

Why not properly setting the functions for the buffer as most modes do
instead of overriding its value on every completion call?

---

In GNU Emacs 26.1.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-06-18 built on carlos
Repository revision: 0a8b7f365cbc8de02ddb4e806dd76b1bf6302565
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Manjaro Linux

Recent messages:
Invalid face attribute :inherit nil
Invalid face reference: comint-highlight-prompt
Invalid face attribute :inherit nil
Invalid face reference: comint-highlight-prompt
Invalid face attribute :inherit nil
Invalid face reference: comint-highlight-prompt
Invalid face attribute :inherit nil
Invalid face reference: comint-highlight-prompt
Invalid face attribute :inherit nil
Invalid face reference: comint-highlight-prompt

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/carlos/Local/stow/emacs-26
 --libexecdir=/home/carlos/Local/stow/emacs-26/lib --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-xft --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail em-rebind
em-smart em-tramp cus-dep autoload cus-theme erc-pcomplete erc-goodies
erc erc-backend erc-compat misearch multi-isearch noutline outline
lisp-mnt jka-compr dabbrev pp cl-print completion face-remap eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func pcmpl-unix em-unix em-term
term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias sh-script smie executable
term/xterm xterm display-line-numbers checkdoc flymake-proc flymake
warnings doom-themes-org vc-git cl-extra yasnippet elec-pair
highlight-indentation help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy
find-file-in-project ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt windmove
diff-mode easy-mmode elpy-shell pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
elpy-profile elpy-django elpy-refactor subr-x python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time format-spec advice json map grep compile comint ansi-color
files-x company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags xref
project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
doom-tomorrow-night-theme doom-themes doom-themes-common xclip winner
ring paren ido-completing-read+ memoize s cus-edit minibuf-eldef ido
gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit company edmacro kmacro pcase
cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib server time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1196737 80838)
 (symbols 48 38962 1)
 (miscs 40 3723 686)
 (strings 32 105392 2953)
 (string-bytes 1 2805376)
 (vectors 16 71622)
 (vector-slots 8 1810041 127260)
 (floats 8 334 648)
 (intervals 56 5454 399)
 (buffers 992 34))