Subject: bug#31880: closed (Re: bug#31880: 26.1; VC mode line popup when clicked is off screen)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 08:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31880: 26.1; VC mode line popup when clicked is off screen

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31880: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31880
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31880: 26.1; VC mode line popup when clicked is off screen
From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 10:04:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:05:09 +0200
>> 
>> Eli, the patch fixes mode-line popup menu positioning on HiDpi screens
>> when using GTK and scaling. Would you like it in master or emacs-26?
>
> Please push to emacs-26, and thanks.

Done as d22b8d1ad1

Closing bug.

Robert

Subject: 26.1; VC mode line popup when clicked is off screen
From: Brian Zwahr <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 09:59:18 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I use Emacs via the GUI and I maximize the window, clicking on a
git branch in the mode line of a buffer produces the actions popup, but
it is unusable because it is either squished at the bottom of the screen
or it extends off the buttom of the screen. If I make the Emacs frame
smaller so that the bottom of the frame is not at the bottom of the
screen, then I get a usable scrollable list of VC actions when I click
the git branch information in the mode line.

It seems like this popup always popups up below/beneath/downward of the
Emacs frame. Instead, if the bottom of the frame is at the bottom of the
screen (or close to it even, maybe?), then the VC popup should display
above/upwards. 

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-05-29 built on lcy01-amd64-029
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Pop!_OS 18.04 LTS

Recent messages:
Loading /home/echosa/.emacs.d/emacs-config.el (source)...
Loading /home/echosa/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
Loading /home/echosa/.emacs.d/emacs-config.el (source)...done
Loaded /home/echosa/.emacs.d/emacs-config.el
Initialization done. (1.384s)
Wrote /home/echosa/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 4 frames, 11 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
 '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --program-suffix=26 --with-modules --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-mailutils --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets
 --with-lcms2 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs26-pCvJBp/emacs26-26.1~1.git07f8f9b=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -no-pie' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
 -no-pie''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: PHP//l

Minor modes in effect:
  winner-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils apropos winner paredit
elec-pair yaml-mode autorevert filenotify projectile grep ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode company-php deeper-blue-theme
display-line-numbers hl-line paren cider cider-repl-history pulse
derived tramp-sh cider-debug cider-browse-ns cider-inspector cider-mode
cider-profile cider-interaction arc-mode archive-mode cider-repl
cider-resolve cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace cider-doc
cider-browse-spec org-table cider-grimoire cider-popup cider-eldoc
cider-client cider-common cider-util clojure-mode align color
nrepl-client tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell parse-time queue nrepl-dict cider-compat ewoc spinner php-cs-fixer
cl ac-php auto-complete ac-php-core popup f json map php-mode
php-project mode-local imenu speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
flymake-proc flymake warnings thingatpt add-log cc-langs cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs ag vc-svn compile find-dired s dash dired dired-loaddefs
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags xref project
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company edmacro kmacro pcase
delight git-gutter-fringe fringe-helper git-gutter ido icomplete
cl-extra help-mode desktop frameset use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core subr-x finder-inf rx info package epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv org-element cl-seq avl-tree generator org advice
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 541865 22063)
 (symbols 48 45965 2)
 (miscs 40 243 398)
 (strings 32 131830 3547)
 (string-bytes 1 3990062)
 (vectors 16 73627)
 (vector-slots 8 1179695 16022)
 (floats 8 359 1209)
 (intervals 56 8846 0)
 (buffers 992 33))